Currently in a long-distance relationship? The reunions are sweet and the goodbyes are awful. But it’s the time between that can really make-or-break your relationship. Good news, though: according to the New York Post, long-distance relationships are often more successful than those nay-sayers in your life would have you believe. The article notes that the relationships are successful about 58% of the time. Consider the average divorce rate is now about 40%, according to Time Magazine, those long-distance relationship stats aren’t too shabby. So you can jump into a long-distance arrangement with a little more confidence.
One of the most difficult parts of being in a long-distance relationship is maintaining your connection. How do you build the same kind of intimacy you’d have if you were living in the same town or even in the same home? Being separated from your love by time and distance doesn’t have to mean the end of your sex life and intimate connections, though. With a little dedication and creativity (and the help of the internet), you can keep your LDR spicy and on the road to success. Here how you can keep the romance alive even when the distance is keeping you apart.
First Things First…
One of the most important parts of a long-distance relationship is being able to communicate with each other well. If you can do that, you’ll be able to weather a lot of relationship storms, distance-related and otherwise. Practice talking about what you need, what you don’t like, and what you definitely want more of in your life. You’ll be building emotional intimacy into your relationship.
This is great for general relationship issues, but it’s also good for keeping that sexy spark alive while apart. Talk about ways you’d like to connect and listen to each other’s ideas. Don’t be afraid to be a little adventurous, either. After all, you might discover something you both enjoy at a distance that makes reunions even hotter.
Five Distance-Friendly Ways to Keep the Spark Alive
Schedule Regular Video Chat Dates
Finding time to spend with your long-distance lover can be tough. It can be a lot harder to schedule time together when you aren’t living in the same area. It’s easy to get too busy or overschedule yourself. Before you know it, it’s been a few days or even a few weeks since you’ve really spent any time with them other than the occasional text.
Combat this relationship-killer by scheduling regular video chat dates and sticking to them. Whether it’s once a week or every night before bed, get it on your calendar and only cancel it in case of an emergency. Face-to-face (or video-to-video) chat creates a lot more intimacy than texting will. That helps you keep your connection to each other strong. Plus, making your lover a priority in your life is one of the sexiest things you can do.
There is a good chance that you and most everyone you know have sent a sext. According to the LA Times, 88% of adults say they’ve sent a naughty message via their texting app. Even better news: 96% of them say they are glad that they did. Sexting can be a great way to keep each other’s creative juices flowing and remind your significant other that you are thinking about them.
Don’t worry if you are new to the sexting world. You don’t have to craft Nobel-worthy prose to seduce your loved one. Just make sure you double-check their number before you hit send (sorry, mom!).
Still not sure what to send? Here are a few ideas.
- Relive a memory of your time together. Have a sexy memory of the last time you two were together? Remind them of the hot times and talk about how you hope to do it all again with them soon.
- Talk about a fantasy you have about them. Have an idea that really gets you going? Share it with your lover. You never know, they may be ready to make that fantasy a reality the next time they are in town.
- Snap a sexy pic. You don’t have to send a full-on nude (and always remember that unsolicited dick pics are never a good idea). But a suggestive flash of cleavage can go a long way to sparking their imagination.
Invest in Quality Sex Toys
When you are maintaining your sex life solo, it pays to invest in some electronic assistance. Sex toys are a great way to help you feel sexually fulfilled while your lover isn’t there in person. You can use the toys while texting or during video chat to make your intimate time together more powerful. Bonus: you can put those sex toys to work when you are together, too, for even more fireworks.
Make sure the toys you purchase are high-quality, though. Check out a toy like the Crescendo. The bendable toy makes it easy for users to customize their vibrational experience, making sure the toy hits all the right places. The smart app allows you to customize the vibration patterns so you get exactly what you need when you need it. The wireless charger can help you make sure the toy is always ready when you and your partner are, too.
The quality materials mean it can be your go-to sex toy for years to come, too, giving you and your partner a chance to find new ways to use it on each other. Plus, when they are in town, you can give them control of the app while you use the toy. It’s a fun experiment in power-exchange when they are totally in charge.
Surprise Them With Snail Mail
As good as the internet is, some good old-fashioned romancing can go a long way, too. Snail mail is a great way to surprise them with a fun or sexy gift and let them know that you are thinking about them even when you aren’t online. Here are a few things to pop in the mail to put a smile on their face:
- A “missing you” card with a personalized sexy message. There are plenty of sweet, funny, or sexy cards available to purchase in your local shop. These are a great start, but don’t forget to add your own personalized message before you pop in the mailbox. Let your lover know you are thinking about them, can’t wait to see them again, and what you want to do to them when they arrive.
- Sexy boudoir photography. Sure, the odd sexy snap on your phone’s camera is a welcome treat. But physical photos are even better. Schedule a boudoir photoshoot where you can get glammed up and show your sexiest side. Look for photographers who specialize in this type of photography. They’ll make sure you feel totally comfortable taking it all off for the camera. This isn’t just for girls, either. Guys can get awesome, sexy shots of themselves to share with their lover, too.
- A red hot care package. Is there anything hotter than a care package from your lover? Not if you are doing it right. Pack a small box with sexy gifts like a new sex toy and some sex position playing cards to give them some great ideas about how to put it to work. Our online store has you covered. Add their favorite chocolates and they are all set for a night of long-distance romance.
Focus on How Fun the Reunion Will Be
The upside of all this LDR sexy time is that the reunion is going to be hot. Long-distance relationships can be tough, and it’s not unusual to feel frustrated by the lack of time together or physical touch. When you start to get down, though, just focus on how good it will be when you are back together. Your time together will be more intense and more special because you won’t take it for granted. Every second together will feel like a gift.
If your long-distance relationship is going to go the distance, then it’s unlikely you’ll be apart forever anyway. Distance is temporary, but love is forever. So keep the spark alive and get ready for fireworks when you are back together!
Remember to Make the Most Of Your Long-Distance Relationship
The distance of your relationship can be a great way to get to know yourself, too. You may discover things about your own sexuality or what you want from life when you have some distance from your romantic partner. Don’t be afraid of that kind of personal growth! It can only make your relationships stronger and more fulfilling in the future.
Making sure you put each other first is the first step to any successful relationship. But making sure you are meeting each other’s sexual needs as much as possible is the next step. This helps create intimacy in the relationship and keeps your desire for each other red hot. Put the resources around you to work, like toys and technology, so distance is less of an issue and more of an interesting challenge to overcome. Long-distance relationships aren’t always easy, but they can definitely be worth it.